Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Perils of Island Living

I dropped some bad news for my fellow geeks yesterday on Facebook, but I felt this deserved a blog post too.

If you guys didn't already know, I live in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.  It has pros and cons.  One big con is that we only have one movie theater.  Yes...just ONE.  To their credit though it's got about 6 screens, can squeeze in about 9 movies if they really try, run at least one 3-D movie a week and still costs less than it does on the US mainland. 

At this point you're wondering why I'm complaining.  Well, you don't get all that without it costing something.  For one thing movies have an incredibly short shelf life.  Only if a movie is really raking it in does it stay here about 3 weeks.  Also, movies that have limited releases never get here.  Doesn't matter how popular they get, we're not getting it.  This is all digression though as what this post is really all about:  Even some big budget movies never get here.  One such movie that I have been waiting for all summer isn't coming.  It's Kick-Ass 2.

Le sigh
Thanks to Caribbean Cinemas very reliable Coming Soon section I was able to confirm this movie isn't coming to St. Thomas at all (St. Croix isn't getting it either).  This is indeed sucky news.  I don't know why it isn't coming here (probably something prudish), but it stinks.  What can you do right?  Hop over to Puerto Rico and watch it there? Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment