Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Foxfi - Free WiFi Hotspot for Android

I bumped into a friend this weekend and he recommended Foxfi as an option for mobile Internet use.  Personally I've been using EasyTether successfully for a while now but the option of an easy WiFi connection appealed to me regardless.  That it supposedly works without rooting your phone makes it doubly appealing.

So I downloaded it on the spot and it seemed to start ok.  Sprint users, you should be warned that your built in browser may try to redirect you to the Google Play store where you will unceremoniously be told you can't download the app there.  You guys should follow this link instead.  I got around this by having an alternative browser on my phone (namely Firefox).

Sadly, it seems that it doesn't work on my phone.  I use a Motorola XPRT which is essentially a Droid 1...one Motorola model the app specifically doesn't work on.  Just my luck.  There is an option for Bluetooth Tethering that also doesn't work on my end.  You feel free to give it a try though. The user interface is really easy to use.  My advice: name your network FBISURVEILLANCE. :)

The user interface

8 comments:

  1. Problem with using Sprint as an Hotspot is that you can't get data access while you are on a voice call. AT&T allows for this scenario, but they don't offer unlimited data ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be glad you got it to work at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have the XPRT (on Boost) and just tried out FoxFi. I was unable to browse the net with my iBook using the WiFi Hotspot feature (although I was able to connect the two), but I WAS able to browse the net with my iBook using FoxFi's Bluetooth Mode. You might want to check it out again...

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it worked for you, Matt. Unfortunately I needed it to work with my Android tablet. It only has WiFi. It might work now that I've rooted my XPRT (it wasn't rooted at the time), but I never went back to it. Instead I got WiFi Tether which was recommended by some folks on an Android forum I peek into every now and again. It works great when I need it. Now if only I could get Sprint (my carrier) to push more data in the Virgin Islands. :)

      Delete
  3. SO DOES IT WORKS WHIT XPRT OR NOT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't. Search the Play store for WiFi Tether. That works fine on my rooted XPRT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey man question i have a sprint phone that is running in another carrier how? i do not know how can i turn it back to sprint?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not something I'm really familiar with but it might help if I knew exactly how you able to get the Sprint phone using another carrier to begin with.

    ReplyDelete