Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Screw U

If there really was a Screw U. then Sony would have definitely flunked out.  At least that's my take on the ordeal this Sony Viao put me through.  I've been seeing a fair amount of laptop computers lately that have just arrived at the end of their useful life (aka the motherboard died).  Laptop motherboards are kinda like broke parts in printers.  Once they go bad, you're better off just replacing the whole thing.  Seriously, replacing a motherboard in a laptop is not worth the stress; especially if the laptop is over 5 years old.

So, me, ever being the Guardian of Data (trademarked, patent pending) figured I should at least pull the hard drive and check if it's still usable and the data on it is ok.  So I grab my trusty Phillips screwdriver, essentially the only tool you should ever need working on any computer, and I see this when I open the hard drive bay.

You're going to have to click on the image to really see it, but that little screw is locking the hard drive in place.  Now I'm only doing the whole so-I-grab-my-screwdriver thing to be dramatic.  I actually knew in advance that that little screw was not coming out with my Phillips.  In the upper right you'll see the screwdriver I thought would have worked.  It's also a Phillips but trimmer than my main screwdriver.  That was also a no go.  I had to break out the screwdriver I use to fix my eyeglasses to get it out (it's in the bottom right).  Oh, but it wasn't as easy as all that.  It felt like Sony drove that screw in with the same kind of device they use to put bolts on cars.  It was TIGHT!  I was fortunate though.  Luckily there was a toolkit around and I found this bad boy.

I HAVE THE POWEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!
Yes folks, I needed pliers just to twist that screw.  Tested the drive, the data was good and we all live happily ever after...well, except for the laptop...it's still dead.  Oh, and Sony, you need remedial classes at Screw U.

No comments:

Post a Comment