Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Time To Move On

Way back in October of last year, I decided to convert my old HTC Hero into a standalone media player.  I went with Cyanogenmod as my new ROM and I admit it was a fun ride...until about a week ago.  The first warning sign had to be the loss of the Play Store.  I couldn't load it no matter how many times I tried and it didn't matter where my Internet source was.  It was minor and ignorable.  Then last night hit.  My HTC froze and didn't come back.  It spent over 2 hours on the loading screen.  I didn't watch it; I just left it running to reload in the car while I was in the bar.  Imagine my surprise when I came back and the damn thing was still running.

Fast forward to today.  I've returned the HTC to factory settings (for Cyanogenmod) 4 times already.  The first time I did it, no GAPPS.  I actually downloaded and installed the GAPPS package again.  It seemed good until I tried to sign in.  Alas the keyboard would show up.  I did a factory resent 2 more times to no avail.

That's why I decided it's time to break up with Cyanogenmod and start dating other Hero ROMs.  I've found just the site to get me back on the right track.  I'll keep you guys posted on what I go with.

Those cell phones get so clingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment