Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

My Favorite Apps (Part 2)

I figure by now you guys are tired hearing about the tablet.  Well I had to get back on here because it's like everyday I stumble onto something useful to do with this thing.  I've run through quite a few apps and there'll probably be more but I'm taking it step by step.

For those of you who liked my last list, you'll probably like this one too.  Without further ado, here we go:

1. MangaSearcher

If you've read my blog, you should have seen this one coming.  MangaSearcher brings e-reading goodness to my tablet.  I used to use something similar on my cell phone but reading manga on the small screen was just a pain in the you know what.  The big screen was just made for this sort of stuff.  One feature I particularly like is that when I call up an issue I want to read it doesn't just link to the issue.  It downloads it so that I can put it aside and read it offline if I want.  Don't worry about it downloading all 610 chapters of Naruto though (for those of you who keep up), it only retrieves the listing when you first ask for a refresh.  If you want a specific issue you have to click it directly.  Make sure you have enough internal memory though.

2.Winamp

It really kicks the llama's ass.  LOL!  Yes, Winamp is classic music player and it does just what I need it to do on the tablet.  It would have been Doubletwist here but it decided to get all kooky on me when I insisted it check for music on the microSD card.  All the basics are here: search, playlists, organization by song, artist, genre and album.  There's also SHOUTcast for web radio, a store to buy upgrades (that famous equalizer is gonna cost you) and a link for Free Music (takes you to Spinner for MP3 downloads and Full CD Listening Party for streaming albums).  One thing I noticed though is it's obvious this was made mainly for the cell phone format.  When you place the long ends towards the ground the album art gets really tiny.  Personally all that empty space drives me nuts so I keep it in book mode (I just invented that term) when I use it.

3. Amazon Kindle

No, my tablet's not a Kindle.  But it can run the Amazon Kindle app.  I've only got two e-books so far (Les Miserables and Shakespeare's Sonnets; FOR FREE!), but I think I can totally get into this e-book thing.  It's really easy to use too.  Just link it to your Amazon account and shop.  You can do it from your tablet or on your PC.  The app will since to check if you bought anything and it'll pop up in your Kindle library.

4. Advanced Task Killer

A must have especially for this tablet.  You let too many apps run wild in the background and this thing'll get much much slower than it needs to be.

5. Dolphin Browser

The built in browser is ok, but I wasn't impressed.  I played with Firefox and found it too bulky and it had trouble with certain links.  Dolphin Browser is the answer.  It's fast and has all the perks the built in browser have and more.

6. Exodus Live Wallpaper

I've only tried a few live wallpapers but I've been stuck on this one.  It just makes my screen look alive.

7. Skype

I've used Skype in the past as an easy way to call toll free numbers but not really to call anyone else.  But hey, I've got front and back facing cameras so that means video chat.  It's cool to have that available.  Not sure how often I'll use it though.

Thanks all I have this time around.  What are your favorite apps?  I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment