Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

3-Way Calls

Or as some of us refer to them these days as: conference calls. 


Y'know I have to appreciate the people who ask me tech related questions.  As much as people would like to believe I know everything the sad truth is I don't.  I do however have an appetite for learning so when I get a question I can't answer I usually don't stop until I've found it.

The question I got today was how do you do a conference call on a smartphone (an iPhone to be specific).  This is something I've never really thought about. 

Here's what I learned first.  There is a set procedure to formulate conference calls...on the iPhone.  Here's the procedure:

1. Make a normal phone call.

2. Touch the Add Call button to make another call. The person you're already on the line with will be put on hold.

3. After speaking to the second person, touch Merge Calls. You now have a three-way conference call where all parties can hear each other.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more people. Up to 5 calls can be merged depending on your carrier.

To add an incoming call:
When the new call comes in, touch Hold Call + Answer. Touch Merge Calls to join the newcomer to the group.

To hang up on one caller:
Touch the Conference button and touch the red phone icon next to the call you want to drop. Then select End Call.

To talk privately with one caller:
Touch the Conference button, then select Private next to a caller. You are now speaking to one person. To resume the conference touch Merge Calls.

And that's that.  But you know me.  I had to be inquisitive and check on how to do this on Android.  Guess what?  There's no set procedure.  That's because the Android OS runs on multiple devices and may be specific to your carrier.  Bummer.  Looks like if you're using Android, you better RTFM.

No comments:

Post a Comment