Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Mythbust Because I Care

The Internet.  It's vast and teeming with information.  But not all information is good information.  See there are people out there who get their jollies out of spreading falsities and watching others take the bait.  I'm not talking about politicians (although I see how you could draw that conclusion).  I'm talking about Trolls.

We're pretty sure they look like this.
In Internet parlance, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.  Trolls have existed for as long as the Internet has.  Heck, trolls have been around since man began; the Internet is just their newest playground.

The reason I bring all this up is because I have a habit of pointing out troll shenanigans.  I've been on the Internet long enough to build up a healthy sense of cynicism so I fact check pretty much everything.  In fact I mentioned this in one of my entries last year.  I've never though expounded on why I do it.  The truth is because I care. 

The spreading of false information bugs me on a level that it wouldn't bug the average person.  Most people can just shrug it off.  Me?  I can't leave you to believe some of that tripe that gets tossed around as facts.  I'd feel like I haven't fulfilled a moral obligation to spread truth.

How goes the crusade?  It's actually really tough in this hyper-partisan era.  I myself am a partisan, but my allegiance is to the facts and I'll present them even if they go against my own beliefs.  And if someone tells me I'm wrong, I'll move heaven and earth to get the real scoop.

So in short, if you see me posting links at the bottom of some story you shared from your email I'm not doing it to be a dick.  I'm here to help. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment