Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lessons in A/V

As in Audio/Video. I bought a new computer a few weeks ago. One feature that I needed in a laptop that has now been phased out was the S-Video output port. Yeah, it's gone.
Sure is purdy though. Anyhoo, I sought to rectify this by the best (and by best I mean cheapest) way possible. Enter eBay. I thought all I needed was a simple VGA to S-Video/component cable. I just got it in the main today.
Turns out I should have read the instructions a little more carefully. Especially the one that said NOTE: Your VGA card must support TV out directly through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information. Damn. Fortunately I'm only out about $3 (Xie xie, China!). Turns out what I really needed was a converter. Only question now is do I get a PC-to-TV converter or a HDMI-to-S-Video/Component converter. Guess it's time to test the HDMI capability on this laptop before I make my next move.

****Update****

HDMI Converter it is. Hi Ho eBay, Away!

No comments:

Post a Comment